Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
Create 7 Journal entries based on the prompts below, each with a minimum of 200 words. No references or citations are necessary. No direct quotes should be used.
1) Why do you believe the terms leadership, management, and supervision are used interchangeably? Do you believe that each term should have its own definition? Why, or why not?
2) Discuss empowerment. How is it important to a law enforcement organization? Describe a time you have felt empowered. What was the outcome? How do you empower others?
3) Reflect on the strategies and techniques for supervising and developing difficult employees. Describe some ways in which you have dealt with difficult personalities in the past.
4) If a citizen’s complaint is filed against an officer, how should you, as a police supervisor, handle the complaint? Should documentation of the complaint become public knowledge? Why, or why not?
5) You are a police supervisor, and you have noticed some concerning issues going on with one of your subordinate officers. The officer seems to always smell of alcohol, he continually comes in late, and he displays poor hygiene and grooming habits. As a result, you are very concerned about his safety and his partner’s safety on the job. What actions should you, as the officer’s supervisor, take to help him overcome these issues?
6) In this unit, we discussed training, coaching, counseling, and mentoring subordinate police officers. If you were a police supervisor, which of these would you focus the most on, and why?
7) Imagine that you have been asked to create a team-building exercise for your department at work. Explain the exercise and how you believe it can make the members of your department more willing to work together to solve issues.